Middle Age – I Think Not
The fifties are more like coming into your own and hitting your stride. By this time in your life wisdom takes over where knowledge and experience left off. All the choices you’ve made have come to fruitation or starting to emerge. It’s a grand time because if you don’t have the “I don’t care what anybody thinks” attitude already, you sure have it now.
Reasons that held you back in the previous years now vanish and you come into your own. Your true colors emerge. But why wait until you’re in your fifties when you can work on that attitude change right now.
Take a look at the unique people who’ve made their mark at “middle age.”
50 – Charles Darwin publishes his pioneering work, On the Origin of Species.
51 – Sandra Day O’Connor becomes the first woman justice to serve on the U.S. Supreme Court.
52 – Tchaikovsy composes a ballet suite called The Nutcracker.
- Ray Kroc, a milkshake machine salesman, starts a fast-food chain called McDonalds
- Leonardo da Vinci completes the Mona Lisa.
53 – Margaret Thatcher is elected as Great Britain’s first female Prime Minister.
- Walt Disney opens a theme park he calls Disneyland in Anaheim, California.
- Ernest Hemingway writes The Old Man and the Sea.
54 – Henry Heimlich makes public a choking-prevention maneuver that will eventually be named after him.
55 - Author Alex Haley publishes his epic masterwork, Roots.
56 – Gustave Eiffel completes the design for the Paris tower that will bear his name.
57 – George Washington is inaugurated as the first President of the United States, receiving all 69 electoral votes. He will stand as the only President unanimously elected.
- Annie Peck becomes the first person to reach the summit of Mount Huascaran in the Andes.
58 – W. H. Hoover develops an electric suction sweeper that is soon dubbed a vacuum cleaner.
59 – Clara Barton founds the American Red Cross
- Madeleine Albright becomes the first women Secretary of State for the United States.
This just a reminder that it’s not over till it’s over. Make the best use of the time you have here because when you hit 50 you may only be half way there.